SPCA Otago always has plenty of news and social interest stories with which we like to keep our supporters informed.
We also hold a number of events and fundraising occasions each year, so watch this website for upcoming opportunities.
We will keep these pages updated with our latest news and events.
- 2017 List of Shame
- 2018 Precious Pets Calendar Available Now!
- Traffic Light Bandanas - helping to keep dogs and people safe
- Don't miss out! Register now for Cupcake Day!
- Photo Competition for the SPCA Otago 2018 Calendar is now open!
It's that time again - the photo competition for the SPCA Otago 2018 Calendar is now open, so select your models and get clicking!
- Order your Entertainment Book now and save!
- SPCA Otago in support of LGNZ remit on cat management legislation
A remit being presented by seven local councils to Local Government New Zealand's AGM is supported by SPCA Otago. The remit seeks to improve the management of all cats in New Zealand. SPCA Otago encourages and supports the development of any national legislation that would help achieve this. The development of relevant, useful central legislation that enables local councils to work with local communities to find appropriate solutions to manage cats is long overdue, especially for organisations, such as SPCA Otago, that deal with unidentifiable, lost, or abandoned cats.
- Valley Voice - March 2017
- A life in fear, is not a life worth living
Following significant social media comment and criticism on SPCA Otago’s management practises for stray cats, the Society wishes to clarify several matters that have arisen.
- Highlanders Muck In
- Jump to the Rescue!
- 2017 Precious Pets Calendar, now 50% off!
- Sorry - there's a mistake!
To our horror just before Christmas, we found there was a mistake in some print batches of our 2017 calendar. If you have one of our new calendars, or know someone with one, please check the month of May 2017. As per the first photo you may have the dates ordered 19th, 21st, 20th, 21st, 22nd. Our apologies if this is the case. We have a special sticker on hand with corrected dates, as per the second photo, which you are welcome to pick up from the SPCA. Alternatively, phone (03) 4738252 or email email@example.com, give us your details and we can post a sticker out to you.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Please note, the error only pertains to the last 12 days of May, all other dates in the calendar are correct. Thanks, as always, for your support and understanding.
- We've hit $1.2 million for the rebuild!
Fantastic news - the SPCA Otago rebuild project has passed the $1.2 million mark this week!
- Valley Voice December 2016
Check out our friends Hades and Bumble in the December edition of the Valley Voice newsletter.
- SPCA North Otago Branch - now open!
We are thrilled to announce the opening of our SPCA North Otago Branch! You'll find us at 281 Thames Street, Oamaru, behind the Vetlife clinic.
- Go SPCA Blue Tick®!
- Adventures with Flat Max!
Here's a fun activity for adults and kids alike!
- SPCA Otago Precious Pets Calendar 2017 - available now!
- Open Day a great success!
A wonderful day was had by all at the SPCA Otago Open Day on Sunday 25th September!
Thank you to all visitors, volunteers and supporters who braved a drizzly day, it was a really fantastic event enjoyed by more than 1200 people.
We enjoyed success with both fundraising and animals adoptions, while the public had a good look around our facility.
The children really had a great time with the animal safari treasure hunt, the kissing booth, the balloon art and face painting.
- Take action against breed specific legislation today!
- Orphaned Ducklings Rescued from Southern Motorway
It's a sure sign Spring is here when SPCA staff are going on rescue missions after baby ducklings. Our first call-out came on Saturday 17th September this year. Well done Rachel Van Grunsven for saving 9 orphaned babies from the Southern Motorway.
- Dumped puppies in loving new homes
- Fiona Goulding - Nature Artist - supports SPCA Otago
Fiona Goulding is a self-taught artist whose finely executed oil paintings have often been described as exquisite. She is predominantly interested in nature and has a keen interest in conservation and animal welfare. Her work covers a multitude of subjects including birds, animals, flora, feathers and landscapes and she has won national and international awards. She also produces high quality fine art giclee prints using archival inks which are available for sale with 20% of proceeds of selected paintings being donated to SPCA Otago. Click here to find out more about Fiona's prints for conservation.
- Hit-and-run cat treated at Humanimals
- Devastating find in Alexandra
- Help Rescue SPCA Otago!
SPCA Otago has operated effectively from its premises in Opoho Dunedin for almost 70 years. However there is now an urgent need to refurbish the existing dilapidated buildings as we face serious challenges in delivering a consistent level of care to animals in need. Click here to see video footage of the disrepair.
- Amazing Donations Received!
We would like to say a huge THANK YOU for the following amazing donations given to the 'Help Rescue SPCA Otago' building project:
- Wonderful support from The Star
- ODT article - SPCA seeking $1.5m shelter upgrade