Other Animal Welfare Agencies

SPCA Otago is here for the welfare of all animals and in particular for the prevention of cruelty to animals, and the rescue of sick, injured, abused and neglected animals.  Whilst we try to assist all animals in need, there are some that will require the help of other organisations.

Native birds and sea birds are protected by the Department of Conservation (DOC). Please contact them if you have found an injured native bird or sea bird - even the small grey seagulls are cared for by DOC.  The only sea bird that the SPCA can care for is the Black Backed Gull (the larger black and white gull with the yellow bill).

Department of Conservation


Phone:  (03) 4770677 or 0800 362 468

Email:  Enquiries@doc.govt.nz

For information and assistance on livestock (farm animals), you may contact the Ministry for Primary Industries, the Otago Regional Council or your local town council:

Ministry for Primary Industries


Phone:  0800 00 83 33

Email:  info@mpi.govt.nz

Otago Regional Council


Phone:  0800 474 082

Dunedin City Council


Phone:  03 477 4000

Email:  dcc@dcc.govt.nz 

Queenstown Lakes District Council


Phone:  03 441 0499  (Queenstown) and 03 443 0024 (Wanaka)

Email:  services@qldc.govt.nz 

Clutha District Council


Phone:  0800 801 350 

Email:  help.desk@cluthadc.govt.nz

Waitaki District Council


Phone:  03 433 0300

Email:  service@waitaki.govt.nz 


If you have problems with feral animals, such as wild rats, feral cats or possums, please discuss your options with a local pest control company.  Within the Dunedin area, we recommend Pest Gone Services Ltd,  phone (03) 488 0277, email pest-gone@ihug.co.nz

Desexing your Pet

SPCA Otago has no vet clinic on site and is not able to carry out surgical procedures, nor are we able to assist with the funding of desexing your pet.  Our recommendation is to telephone around your local vet clinics to request their price for the animal you need to desex and enquire about their terms of payment.  We understand it can be an expensive outlay to desex a pet, but it is the most important thing you can do for the animal and yourself.  If you are struggling financially to desex a cat, and you hold a Community Services Card, you might consider applying for the assistance of Pet Fix Dunedin,  http://petfix.org.nz/, phone 027850616, email petfixnz@gmail.com

Protecting animals outside of Otago

The SPCA is represented throughout New Zealand with Inspectors and Animal Centres in most regions.  There are 47 SPCA branches throughout the country.  If you have an animal emergency or welfare query outside of Otago, please follow the RNZSPCA New Zealand link to find the closest SPCA centre:  http://rnzspca.org.nz/contact-us-main/find-your-spca 

Protecting animals worldwide

World Animal Protection (formerly the World Society for the Protection of Animals) is an international charity organisation that protects animals on an international scale. The charity describes its vision as:  "A world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended".  Their work involves protecting animals in disasters as well as in certain international communities, farming industries and the wild.  For more information visit their website:  http://www.worldanimalprotection.org.nz/