Rehoming your pet
Our core purpose is to care for sick, injured, abandoned and abused animals. Unfortunately we are not always in a position to accept healthy owned animals due to the need to use our resources dealing with emergency animal welfare issues.
SPCA Otago receives a high number of calls from owners wanting to surrender their pets. We realise that making the decision to rehome your pet is an extremely tough one and it may be for reasons out of your control i.e. financial or relocation.
To help us focus our time and resources on helping animals that need us the most, we need pet owners to explore all options to find a new home for their own pets. Below are some tips to help with that process:
First of all, make sure the information you display about your pet is as descriptive as possible and you include his/her age, gender, whether they have been desexed, breed and any health issues. Use a photograph that is as clear and up to date as possible.
- Speak to friends, family and colleagues and ask them to spread the word.
- Advertise on TradeMe, www.petsonthenet.co.nz, buy/sell exchange, on community/supermarket noticeboards, newsletters or in the local paper.
- Upload images or a video of your pet to Facebook and YouTube for friends to view.
- Contact your local vet, pet stores and if you have a specific breed of pet, local enthusiast clubs.
- Contact species-specific animal shelters but please be aware that they may have capacity issues also.
- Consider short term care at a boarding kennel or cattery.
We would recommend you start the rehoming process as soon as possible once you have decided you can no longer keep your pet.